Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Reach for the sky!

I hate being a perfectionist. Let me tell you right now---raise your children to know that there is "good" and "good enough", and "good enough" is just fine. You'll still get into heaven being "good enough". Here's the story----

This month has been a hard one to run. At the beginning of the month, there was the 2010 Flood, where Nashville received 14" of rain in two days. Yes, you read that right. The amount we get in three months came in a 48 hour time period. So the kids and I stayed inside, climbed the walls, and had Jammie Day for 2 long, weekend days. Those two days were a wash, so to speak, in terms of getting out and running.

When the rain went away, the heat came out to play. At 9am last Wednesday morning, I could barely walk/run a complete mile. It seemed like the heat and humidity were just too much for this delicate hot-house flower.

This past weekend when I visited my parents, I made a point of getting up early and hitting the sidewalk by 0530 for a 2 mile run. Ugh. Did that, glad it's over.

So, now to today. Miles had his respite provider over, Nathan went to childcare, and I went to the gym. I set high expectations for myself, and that is Point A that I hate about myself. I set goals that are too high, I know they are too high, but I still set them and hope I can reach them. I though, "With three hours to myself, I can do 5 miles on the treadmill, then 5 miles on the bike, move to the elliptical for 5 miles, and maybe lift some weights to finish off the routine." That was my thinking yesterday. This morning my thoughts were along the lines of "Workout or take a nap, that is the question." I really wanted to nap, I should have napped. My energy level has just taken a nose-dive since Joel is gone. But I also knew that logging these miles for my WTA would have to be accomplished at some point, so I might as well get them done and out of the way, right?

While I did not reach the lofty expectations I set for myself, I did manage to double my monthly total in this one hour cardio session--1 mile run, 5 miles on the bike, and 1 mile on the eliptical. No weight session, a hot shower was just too appealing.

So, the session was not "good" but "good enough", and that is fine by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment