Saturday, January 5, 2013

What I Have Learned: What I Can Stomach

Since listening to the cues that my stomach gives me, I have actually learned a lot about what I can and cannot eat. I am not sure if this is me getting order and my body cannot handle foods the same way it did when I was 16, or am I just getting wiser about how I can. I'll go with the second option on this one.

Anyway, here are a few things that my 34 year old body can no longer handle. First off, grease. I cannot stomach (no pun intended) this horrible, nasty stuff the way I previous could. Here is my example for you: on the way home from Christmas vacation, Joel and I drove through McDonald's for a breakfast value combo.  I picked up the Egg McMuffin Value combo, since that was the combo with the fewest calories.  Coffee: O zeroes; McMuffin: 300 calories; Hashbrown: 150 calories.  Not too bad.  As we drove along, I drank my coffee while eating the McMuffin, and then picked up the hashbrown.  I was kind of full, so I decided to take this with small bites.  YUCK!  EW!  GROSS!!!  It tasted like pure grease and fat.  So I wrapped it up to throw away when we got home. Yeah me for recognizing how horrible it tasted and stopped eat then!

Another thing I have found my stomach and taste buds are having a hard time handling is sugar. I am sure that I eat too much of it, but I don't necessarily add it to my diet. I try to sweeten things with Sweet N Low instead, or if I need that sugar taste I go for the Splenda. But recently I made a cookie and brownie mix thing and nearly had to spit the thing out of my mouth, it was horrible! My husband said it tasted ok, but again I just could not eat it. I guess that is a good thing, no more brownies in the house, so that will help me lose weight. But how sad...no more brownies? :(. Let's all have a moment of silence.

So on this journey, I am finding out that what you can eat is not only a mental thing, but sometimes also a physical one as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment