Thursday, January 17, 2013

Highs and Lows

Yesterday was a day of highs and lows for me.  Mostly highs, but one BIG low. 

It started off with the weekly weigh in for the competition the website Sisterhood of the Shrinking Jeans is doing.  It's 8 weeks long, so it seems doable that I should be able to lose the 7 pounds that I wanted to in 8 week.  Yeah, that's harder than it sounds.  Of course, the chocolate chip cookie dough that I ate the previous week might not help in this way, but it was oh so good!  But back to the weigh in. I stepped on the scale...and waited....and the number that flashed up was....148!  Say what? I GAINED a pound!!  This is so not right.  I know my eating habits are not the best, but I still hit the gym a few times, that should count for something right?

So that was my low.  And I know from previous weigh loss adventures that taking body measurements are a great way to see if you have lost weight.  I read recently that a pound of fat is about the size of a grapefruit, and a pound of muscle is about a size of an orange.  So even if you have lost weight, and gained muscle, you will still be the same weight but also smaller.  At the start of 2013 I took my measurements of my bust, waist and hips.  Here is how things are two weeks into the new year:

1/1/2013                                                        1/15/2013
Bust: 37"                                                       38"
Waist: 36 1/4"                                               34"
Hips: 39 1/8"                                                39"

Holy cow! I'll be happy to take those measurements! An inch gain in the bust most girls would not like, but hey, I'll take it.  And TWO INCH loss in my waist? This called for a skinny girl celebration!

At that moment, I was wearing my Old Navy jeans.  I love their jeans, and I purchased three new pairs of them in size 8 with my birthday money in October.  But in December I found a pair of jeans at the PX for $15, and purchased them in a size 6.  Motivation pants, that's what I called them.  So last night after seeing this 2" loss in my waist, I pulled these suckers out, and they fit...loosly! How exciting, even if I am not losing weigh my body is changing in a positive way, and I like that.

But then I had another low.  :(  My Nike+ started flaking out on me. I went to the gym to do Week 3, Day 2 of the C25K program, but all of the treadmills were full.  NOOOO!!!!! So I decided that my 5 minute warm up would be 15 minutes (or about 1 mile) on the elliptical machine.  That would not be too bad, so I picked a machine and started.  However, most of the lights on the machine were not working, so I am not real sure how long I was on there.  I think it was around 15 minutes, or about 1.25 miles.  That's my guess. After that, when three out of four of the treadmills were open, I jumped on one and started a modified version of my workout: 2 minute warm up (instead of five), and the same workout as Monday with 90 running/90 seconds walking/3 minutes running/3 minutes walking repeating twice.  But a few minutes into my workout a voice came on my headphones and said "Activity stopped.  Press the center button to restart".  Hmmm, ok, I did that.  And this happened several times.  Alright, not a big deal.  Until about 1 mile into my run I looked down on my ipod and noticed that only a quarter mile had been registered!!  WTH?! I probably did the worst thing anyone could do---I quit my workout.  After the whole light thing on the ellipitcal machine, and now this, well, I just gave up.

My attitude is better today.  I know that things happen, and I spoke with Nike Running to see what to do.  I'll try restarting my sensor in my shoes, and go from there.  But if I have to get a new ipod, this might be just the excuse I need to get that itouch I have been drooling over for several years.

No comments:

Post a Comment