Saturday, August 14, 2010

Race Day-Touched by Grace Ministries 5k

Another Saturday, another race. This is turning into a recurring theme, and I am not sure yet if I am crazy or stupid---but here is a recap of today's race.

I was pretty excited to see the course again. It was the same course as my first 5k, the Firecracker 5k on July 3rd. Except this time it was reserved. And this time the race was later in the morning--8:00am. You would not think that would make a difference, but Tennessee has had some brutal heat this month, close to 100-degrees, with a heat index of over 100-degrees. Even early in the morning it was already 76-degrees, warm and muggy, and totally miserable for a 5k. But oh well, here it goes!

The first kilometer was not too bad, a little walking, but overall it was fine. It was the second and third kilometer that truly killed me. I don't know why, but I think with the heat, I was truly miserable and there were MANY points in that race that I wanted to just give up. But I kept on going, dragging my feet and taking too many walking breaks. It was on the last kilometer that I finally picked things up, when I looked at my watch and realized I had the chance to beat my last PR of 33:24. The walking breaks were over--time to kick it up in the speed department.

And I was oh-so-close!!! My final time was 33:33! Boo-hiss!!! Slower by 9 seconds! AHHH!!! If I had just taken 1 fewer walking breaks, I could have made it! :( Such a sad day. I'll blame the weather for this one; it was too hot to run. Oh, and maybe the fact that it had been almost a week since my last run.

Here's hoping for a new PR on October 30th.....

No comments:

Post a Comment