Tuesday, April 20, 2010

New PR!!!

I had an awesome run today! Oh my goodness, I am ON TOP OF THE WORLD!!!! YIPPIEEEE!!!!!

My original plan was to strap Nathan into the stroller and take a quick walk/slow run around the neighborhood. Nathan had other plans that specifically did not call for any sort of stroller, but had an emphasis on the swings at the playground. In this tug of war---Nathan won. There are only so many battles a mom can fight in one week. So, off the playground we go, I'll run later....I hope.

Joel made it home close to 6 o'clock, and seeing that I was still dressed in my running top (I had switched out of my nice running capri pants into demin jeans), he assumed I had already gone for my run. When I told him what happened, he enthusiastically encouraged me to get out of the house, and I was happy to comply with that order. "Sir, yes, Sir!"

I don't normally run towards the end of the day since I am a morning person, and for some odd reason I was feeling unusually energetic for this time of day. I swipe my card at the nearest gym, sign up for a treadmill, and off I go! I am feeling good, really good, I mean, I have never felt this great before! I ran for 5 solid minutes at a 5.0 speed before I had to take a break to a swift walking pace. Five minutes! This was crazy, just crazy! But like my manta, I kept chugging along, "I think I can, I think I can...I think I make this a personal best....I think I can, I think I can..."

Stride after stride, step after step, that's all running is, and while it seems so hard, after awhile it can also seem so easy. I kept going on the treadmill, and when I looked down at my ipod to see how my pace was doing.... HOLY COW! I ran that mile in 9:51??? Oh man, I'm feeling pretty good! But I think I need to slow down just a bit before I find that wall and run straight into it.

The pace slows down, and I think that in order to record that new personal best time I want to end this run on a high now. At 1.25 miles I call it quits. I would rather cut it short and walk away from this run on a high, knowing that my speed has picked up, rather than keep running, and kill my time. It might be a mental thing, but for the moment, I am on top of the world knowing that I can run with a pace of 10:28. Now if I can only figure out how to keep this up for two more miles......

No comments:

Post a Comment