Thursday, March 18, 2010

Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my lonely little blog....training to run!

I know---running sounds so easy and elementary. Anyone could do it. In fact, my two children are gold medal champions at it! Nathan loves to run to the park, away from the car that he should be getting into at that particular moment. So, why is it so hard for me to run?? Seriously, my idea of running is towards the ice cream man and his truck and he turns off our street. "Wait, I found some money!! Come back!!!!"

In all seriousness, running is something that I would like to master. My husband was a cross country runner during high school and college. In fact, he still does (though the Army may have something to do with that as well.) But he has run in a half-marathon and full marathon as well. It seems that all of my friends run as well, and they have great health and a hot, smokin' body to go with it! So, again, why it is so hard for me to run??

I think it was the way I was raised. I love my mom and dad, and as I parent, I know they did everything that they could possibly do to raise a smart and well-rounded young lady. But with their work schedule, when they come home, all they want to do it sit and relax after a grueling hard day, not lace up a pair of sneakers and go for a jog around the block. However, Joel has a job that allows me the luxury to stay home with the kids. And I realize that I want to instill into my children good exercise habits so that they are not fighting obesity and type 2 diabetes later in life.

Joel is always saying to start slow and work your way up, and as much as I hate to put these words in writing....he is right. With the weather now (getting) warmer and sunnier, I have taken Nathan out in the stroller several days for a quick walk around the neighborhood. Even after a week, I can already see a difference in my cardio. While I am not in THE GREATEST shape, my Nike+ program says that I am walking a 14.5 minute mile. Not too bad considering I am pushing Nathan (who is 30+ pounds) in his stroller, but hopefully I can carve out some time to go walking/running alone to see what I really have the potential to do. Here's hoping for some quality "me time".....

No comments:

Post a Comment