Tuesday, March 23, 2010

My new favorite toy

Everyone loves to play with toys, no matter how old you are. My children love their trucks and legos, Joel loves his video and computer games, I love my home-designing software and Nike+ running sports kits. Yes, there is specialty equipment for running. Who knew such as simple activity had so much equipment?

To get my walk/run program off on the right foot, I loaded Nathan into the car, and off we go to the sports store at the mall. After trying on several different styles and sizes of shoes, I decided on a pair of Nikes, the Nike Air Pegasus+ 26. They look pretty, right???





Next, we head to Best Buy to purchase the Nike+ Sports Kit (because, believe it or not, the sports store did not carry this product). The way the sports kit works is that you take the sensor and place it in a "pocket" under the insert of the left shoe.




Then, you take the receiver and plug it into the bottom of your ipod nano. The program gives you the option to have a programmed workout based either on distance, time, or calories. [You can program in your weight for a more accurate count on the number of calories you burn during the workout.]



There are several things I *love* about this program, with the first being that it measures the distance that you walk/run. Can you say "LIFESAVER!!!" That part alone was totally worth the $30 the program cost. The second think I love is the feedback it can give you during your walk. For example, on days when I do a programmed run (as compared to the "basic" workout, which is just open ended), the program can give you feedback about where you are in the run----1K completed or 400 yards to go until completion. Awesome!

Another feature the Nike+ program gives you is to link it up to the website, which you register with and create a profile on there. So after my workout, I plug in my ipod to the computer, and it downloads my workout with the distance, time and calories burned to my profile. Once I log into nike.com and sign in to my account, I can also see a snapshot of my run, with a runner going across the screen, up and down, signaling when I sped up in my workout and when I slowed down. Pretty sweet!

Additionally, there is a history aspect loaded into this program. You can view your previous runs by week or month, and it will show you how many miles you've run, calories you've burned, and the amount of time you have logged during that time period. It will certainly make my "Walk Across Afghanistan" log easier to fill out at the end of the month.
Can you tell I love my Nike+????

No comments:

Post a Comment