Friday, March 19, 2010

Type A personality

If you know me, you know that I am a Type A personality---I like to make list and cross things off, to see the accomplishments I have made in the day. So when I train with weights, or running, I need to have a goal of training for something. Running just for the heck of it is not any sort of fun. Yeah, yeah, I know that running will increase your cardio system, keep you healthy by keeping you in shape, help you burn calories to lose weight...blah, blah, blah. Yeah, I've heard it all before, all the healthy benefits for running. Then there are the other things...shin splints, bad knees, torn ligaments from you foot landing in a hole. Seems to me that the bad outweigh the good.

However, with Joel's upcoming deployment, I feel that I need something to keep me occupied and to help me countdown the days and weeks until his return. With his previous deployment, I was pregnant with Nathan, so that keep me occupied. "Hmmm, this is week 21 of my pregnancy, only 19 more weeks until my due date, and 18 more weeks until Joel comes home on R&R." Or, "Nathan is now 4 months old, which means that that we have only 4 more months until Joel returns home!" Well, let me tell you, I am NOT getting pregnant before this deployment. NO SIR! Not going to happen!

So, how I am going to countdown the deployment?? I am glad you asked. I am walking to Afghanistan! Not really, but hear me out. The MWR Sports program here is sponsoring a "Walk to Afghanistan" program for all of those interested in such an activity. You can be part of team and walk over 7,000 miles, or do it individually and walk 1,445 miles from 1 April 2010 to 31 March 2011.

Why am I doing this?? Seriously, I have no idea. I thought it sounded fun! HA!!! By the time I finish my feet are going to be so swollen and will want to fall out. But it is a challenge, even if it is only an self-challenge, and I am up to the task! Let the walking begin!....on April Fools day.

No comments:

Post a Comment