Monday, March 22, 2010

5k death march

I have a friend whose husband is doing "The Bataan Death March" this weekend. What that is is a 26.2 miles Army ruck march, complete with full "battle rattle". UGH! No.Thank.You. I'll cheer him on from the comfort of my couch in a different state, if that is alright with you! :)

But, on Saturday, Joel took the kids to recycle, so I was able to get my first walk/run without a stroller. YIPPIE!! Let's see how fast I can run now! The answer: just a little faster than the crawl of a snail. Seriously, I was disappointed in myself. I think I have the expectation that without a stroller hindering my activity, I can just let loose and run the entire length without any walking, just run away until I finish whatever objective I set for myself that day. Hmmm, this running thing is going to be little tougher than I originally thought.

On my first alone run, I set the distance at 5k, or 3.125 miles. There is a walking trail around our neighborhood, and having never taken it before (and thus did not know exactly where it went), I decided to take that trail. Not too bad, I went around the neighborhood several times. Hopefully, one of these days I can find a map of the neighborhoods around here and map out a distance that does not require repeating a trail more than once.

So, on to the update of this run. From the time I left my front door to the time I returned---3.21 miles with a time of 42 minutes and 25 seconds. The total time for my 5k was 40:32. And how did I feel at the end? Like I wanted to die. Ugh, it was AWFUL!! But seeing as how it was the farthest I had ever run, I was excited to have that box checked off. I now have a new goal of what to work towards, beating that time with a better one. I told Joel was goal is to have a time of 30 minutes for a 5k. Pretty realistic if you ask me. No deadline of when to have this accomplished, just something I have set for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment