Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Goals, not Resolutions, for 2016

I read somewhere where someone said they don't make resolutions for the new year, because ultimately they fail.  Rather, they make goals, because it is something to strive towards. Sounds about right, don't you think??  So at my workout today, I wrote this entry in my head, and here are the goals I want to accomplish in 2016.

1. To complete the Whole30 diet once. We tried recently, but failed before the end of Day 2.  It sounds great, but I did a big shopping trip a week before starting, and that grocery trip was NOT preparing for the diet.  So we had sooooo many tempting foods in the house.  So rather Hubby and I decided to press pause, and restart the diet in a few more weeks.  At that time there will be no more pizza in the freezer, and fewer than 15 boxes of pasta in the house. 

2. To complete 1008 miles of cardio.  This is half of 2016, and while it is reachable, I am going to be pushing myself in this.  I ran or did elliptical for around 550 miles in 2015 (an increase from 470 in 2014). To diversify this goal, and to not bore myself out, I decided that I can do four exercises to complete the miles: running/walking; rowing; biking; elliptical machine.  Each of these much have the resistance increased from 1. So if I am on the elliptical machine, I usually set it to resistance 8. But not something that is easy and I can "phone in".  I can decrease the resistance for a few minutes, but I MUST be working and pushing myself.

3. To complete 5 more half-marathons in 5 different states. Pretty easy so far--I have New York, Maine and New Jersey already paid for and on the books! We are still not sure where we will end up after Hubby graduates from graduate school this spring.  We could stay in the New England area, we could venture to California.  We'll go wherever the job is, and because of that uncertainty I cannot book anything after May. :(

4. Lose 5 pounds.  Ok, this might be wishful thinking. :)  But I know that losing the weight will certainly help me get that elusive 2:29:59 in a half-marathon that I have been chasing for more than 3 years now.  Fingers crossed, right?!?!

So there ya go.  Short, sweet and to the point.  I'll have to remember to check back this time next year and let you know how I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment