Monday, December 31, 2012

Goals, not resolutions

Everyone makes New Year Resolutions, and everyone breaks them. Seriously, who is still on track with their New Year's resolution in March? We all know the gym packed with new members in January, but stick around and you will notice that the crowds thin out by Valentine's Day.

I believe there is a huge different between resolutions and goals. Resolutions are thing you want to do, goals are dreams that you have but you also have a plan to get there. So while we all might say, "I want to lose weight," or "I want to run faster," this year I have goals with outlines of plans on how to get there.

1. To lose at least 7 pounds by my birthday in October.
My plan: workout four days a week and to eat better food. Already I have totally given up regular soda, only drinking diet sodas. And with those, I only have 1 a day. Baby steps, if I change too much too soon I know I will fail. And another change I have made, and this is huge in my book, is not putting creamer in my coffee, not even skim milk! This is big, HUGE, for me and I personally am very proud of myself! :) GO ME! Anyway, 7 pounds in 9 months seems doable.

2. To run a 5k in less than 30 minutes.
My plan: to run more. Seems like an easy plan, right? But I am seriously hoping that Joel's schedule will not derail these plans again. I am starting, again, the C25k program, and while I think I am a little further ahead in it, I really want to complete this timed goal.  Currently I am focused on distance, as in trying to run further each day, and from there I will focus on time. I know you remember from way back when when I wrote how much I love my Nike+ system, so with the tracking of splits in that program I can learn how fast I am running, and where I need to work on my time.  Currently, I am running with an average pace of 12:35/mile, which means I need to know off 3:00/mile in order to reach this goal.  I foresee A LOT of sprint training in my future to reach this, but goals are suppose to be hard, right?  If they were easy, everyone could achieve them.

3. To complete a 10k.
No time limits on this goal, at least not yet.  This is probably the "pie-in-the-sky resolution" that I have, because I feel that I need to mentally and physically get past the 5k distance, and then I can see the starting line of a 10k race.  But it is something to keep on this goal list to work towards in the coming year.

So there it is, out for all of the world to see.  I hope someone out there can help keep me accountable and cheer my lazy butt along on some days. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment