Saturday, June 29, 2013

Crawling back from under a rock

I'm sorry. I'm so, so, so, so sorry. I know, I give you BIG news that I signed up for a half-marathon (HM) and then.....nothing. For almost five months. And for that, I am deeply sorry. :(

There has been a lot going on in my family life, and for those of you who are personal friends with me, you know what I am talking about. For others, let me just say that I am now single parenting, and thus my free time to go running, or do anything by myself--like shower, or grocery shop, or pay bills.  You get the general idea.  So running has taken a deep, deep nosedive. Ok, maybe not that drastic, maybe just a walk off a very high cliff.  And I know that with the HM in just three short months, I need to kick things in high gear.

What's my plan? To go on vacation!! Seriously, next week I am headed on vacation with the kids and my parents. So I am REALLY hoping that my parents understand that at least three days a week I am going to need some time to myself for a run.

Step two of the plan is to run a 5k. I can already hear the question forming in your mind. "What is she thinking? She has run maybe twice in three months? WHY is she running a 5k?" The answer is simple, and is it this: I need a baseline. This particular 5k I ran three years ago and is my PR for my 5k, which is 33:24. I need to know where is the beginning so that as I am training I know where I started and how I am progressing. That, and I needed a place to wear the new Sparkle Skirt my husband bought me for our anniversary. (More on that in a later post)

The last step to my master plan on training for the HM is to train with Fleet Feet-Brentwood.  They have a training group specifically for the Women's Half-Marathon. And I took the plunge and signed up. With my parent's "permission", since they will be kiddo watchers while I go for these training sessions.  There goes my Saturday mornings.  We run every Saturday for about 10 weeks at 7am. Not that my children allow me to sleep in (the oldest one likes to get up at 6am on Saturdays in June--ugh!), but the weekly trip to Brentwood is going to be exhausting. Of course, so is running a HM.....

So there you have it. My apologies for dropping of the face of the Earth, and my plan to get this race checked off my bucket list.  In my next posting I'll have to tell you what I HAVE been doing for exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment